The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for the UW–Madison, is seeking a creative professional to join the marketing team. Demonstrating a high level of creativity, visual sensibility, strategic thinking, and attention to detail, the graphic designer is responsible for producing innovative solutions to marketing challenges. The Graphic Designer / Senior Graphic Designer position will lead cross-functional teams employing the creative process to meet creative brief objectives while promoting and adhering to brand standards.
Produce innovative solutions to marketing challenges that combine both written and visual elements in touch points across multiple platforms
- Design and produce original graphic solutions to meet marketing objectives in support of strategic communication priorities.
- Produce visual touch points for print, digital and environmental graphics with an emphasis on publication design, email marketing, direct mail, and other print mediums.
- Exhibit a high level of creativity and attention to detail.
- Implement pre-press process for production of digital files.
Concept development and ability to lead cross-functional teams through the creative process
- Employ strategic thinking and key points of the creative brief to develop concepts and present original ideas through graphic solutions.
- Research appropriate design ideas to develop the best approach and concepts for style, technique and production methods for each project.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams from the ideation phase through production.
- Exhibit strong evidence of professional client relations or client services experience; demonstrated excellence in interpersonal skills with an ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external constituents.
- Exhibit strong communication skills and ability to articulate visual concepts.
- Deliver against timelines and milestones, identify potential delays and proactively find solutions.
- Conceive and execute consistently branded campaigns across multiple channels of distribution.
- Inform and achieve quality control in the presentation of the WAA, UWF, UW and WFAA brands across platforms.
Other skills and responsibilities
- Plan and direct photo shoots.
- Provide direction and work collaboratively with vendor-partners to successfully develop and produce creative materials.
- Maintain knowledge of new technology and how it relates to design; continually update design and technical skills.
- Maintain high awareness of trends and best practices in graphic design, communications and marketing industries.
- Inform colleagues of developing trends and industry best practices.
- Engage with alumni and students to increase brand affinity, engagement and likelihood of alumni involvement in UWF or WAA activities.
- Contribute to organization and content of photo library.
Support a service-oriented atmosphere in accordance with WFAA mission, values and philosophy
- Strategic beliefs
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison has a transforming impact on students, alumni,and society;
- Authentic, lifelong relationships and engagement with alumni, donors and friends are fundamental to sustaining the reputation and continued success of the University;
- Philanthropy has an essential and growing importance on the future progress of UW-Madison;
- The highest level of stewardship and fiduciary responsibility in financial, investment, data and gift administration is vital to maintaining trust with our stakeholders;
- Diverse views, experiences and perspectives strengthen WFAA and the university community.
- Organizational values
- We are serious about delivering results;
- We work together and with our campus partners as a team;
- We are committed to alumni, donors, volunteers and others;
- We are open-minded;
- We create a positive work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree required in art, fine arts, graphic design or related field.
- 1 + year professional design experience in an in-house, marketing and/or agency environment required.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat) and Microsoft Office. HTML and CSS experience appreciated.
- Excellent sensibility for design and typography.
- Demonstrated creativity, attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to organize, multitask and meet very distinct deadlines while expressing a high degree of creativity.
- Knowledge of and passion for UW–Madison and higher education; understanding of key issues affecting UW–Madison.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
This is a full time, exempt position reporting to the Design Manager. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit program, which includes a 10% 401k contribution after 1 year of service!
Please submit a cover letter, resume and portfolio link or PDF not to exceed 5 MB.
If you have questions please contact Denise Jelinek at email@example.com.