Be apart of a great tradition at UW – Madison! The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is looking for 27 dynamic Grandparents University Student Counselors to start on June 12th!
Grandparents University® (GPU) is an award-winning program that was started on the UW-Madison campus in the summer of 2001. At GPU, grandparents and their grandchildren come to the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus to take part in the Badger experience complete with staying in a campus residence hall, walking around campus, going to class and participating in engaging and hands-on activities, and earning a GPU degree. Check out this video about GPU program:
Hourly Rate: $11/ hour! In addition, each counselor will receive a program T-shirt, water bottle and cinch sack!
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Participate in all meetings and training.
- Assist with move-in and set up.
- Assist with program check-in at the Wisconsin Alumni Association.
- Lead or accompany groups of participants to campus locations.
- Know the program schedule and details.
- Be knowledgeable about the GPU program, from program registration to post event photos and evaluation.
- Take meaningful, interactive pictures (digital cameras are provided).
- Distribute snacks and drinks at break time in the major, clean up when finished.
- Keep the GPU home base well organized.
- Assist GPU instructors, program manager or coordinator as needed.
- Facilitate planned Thursday evening activities.
- Lend general assistance and customer service when needed.
- Organize the grandchildren for the graduation ceremony.
- Be an ambassador to the University of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association.
- Make sure all participants are safe and having a great time!
Support a service-oriented atmosphere in accordance with WFAA mission, values and philosophy
- The transforming impact of the UW Madison;
- The treatment of all with high ethical and behavioral standards including honesty, integrity, respect, courtesy, and dignity;
- The spirit, involvement, participation, engagement, and impact of alumni and friends with the UW-Madison and with each other;
- The joy of giving and the power of philanthropy;
- The interdependent nature of all aspects of the Parties’ collective relationships in fulfilling their missions; and
- The highest level of stewardship of the investment of donors’ philanthropy in support of the UW-Madison and the relationships and trust accrued through alumni development and engagement activities.
- Some college coursework completed and currently enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Experience: Familiarity of the UW-Madison campus. Demonstrated experience in event planning and execution, summer camps, retail or service industry are all helpful.
- Strong verbal communication skills are required.
- High analytical skills, language, reasoning ability and problem solving.
- Ability to prioritize and work with a high degree of independence; ability to work well as part of a team; high degree of customer service skills; excellent analytical and interpersonal skills, including ability to express all appropriate information clearly and concisely, whether written or verbal; ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Physical Demands Summary: This is a very active position. During set up and execution, this position will be mostly on their feet with lots of walking and moving around. Candidates may need to be able to lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
GPU 2019 Training Dates, Program Dates and Student Counselor Hours
- Initial Training: Wednesday, June 12th 12PM – 2PM.
- GPU Instructor and Student Counselor Meeting: Wednesday, June 19th, 12PM – 2PM
- Final Training: Wednesday, June 26 from 12PM. – 2:00PM
- Program Prep: Wednesday, July 10 from 10AM – 2:00PM
- Session I: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, July 10-12
- Session II: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, July 17-19
- Session III: Wednesday,Thursday and Friday, July 24-26
- Wednesday Hours: 3PM- 6PM.
- Thursday Hours: 7AM-9PM includes breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Friday Hours: 8AM – 4PM includes breakfast and lunch
- June- July 2019, each counselor will have a total of 70 hours.
Note: When applying, please submit cover letter and resume in a single attachment.
Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.