The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is seeking a development officer to help implement and advance the major gifts program benefitting the University of Wisconsin Law School (UW Law). While employed by WFAA, the successful candidate will work hand-in-hand with the Dean of UW Law, the Associate Dean for External Relations of UW Law, and another development director assigned to the Law School, coordinating efforts with WFAA and UW Law staff as appropriate.
Opened in 1868, the University of Wisconsin Law School is located on historic Bascom Hill in the heart of the beautiful UW–Madison campus. As a top tier law school, it boasts a renowned faculty, an extensive curriculum and a dynamic student body. As part of a world-class university located in the state’s capital, the Law School also offers an unparalleled wealth of experiences beyond its walls. This position presents an opportunity to work with graduates and friends of UW Law from across the country, while affecting the very future of UW-Madison and its law school.
The Director of Development will work collaboratively to accomplish the following objectives:
- Work with the leadership of UW Law and WFAA to identify priorities and opportunities, and design, implement, and manage strategic plans for a comprehensive major gifts program.
- Self-direct prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and management of a portfolio of potential and current donors, with a focus on leadership annual and major gifts that advance UW Law’s strategic priorities.
- Plan and conduct visits and other ongoing contacts that link potential donors with UW Law’s programs and development needs.
- Develop and maintain strategies to enhance donor stewardship.
- Help to foster a culture of philanthropy at UW Law, as well as engage UW Law leadership and staff as vital partners in donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Effectively navigate relationships with and between UW Law, WFAA, other UW-Madison programs, and other constituents.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree; master’s degree in marketing, communication, non-profit management or higher education preferred. Special consideration will be given to candidates with JD degrees.
- 2 + years of fund development experience, with a proven record of success in major gifts preferred, though we welcome alternative candidates.
- A passion for and commitment to helping advance the mission and programs of the University of Wisconsin through increased philanthropic support.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Self-directed, team player who has a strong, results-oriented, work ethic.
- Willingness and ability to meet independent travel requirements (approx. 25%).
Final appointment will be made at the Director or Senior Director level depending on experience and qualifications. This is a full-time position involving travel. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits program, including 10% employer contribution to 401k after 1 year of employment! Current WFAA Directors of Development at any level are eligible to transfer laterally, maintaining their current job title and salary. Current WFAA Directors of Development at any level are eligible to transfer laterally, maintaining their current job title and salary.
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association and UW Law are committed to building an inclusive community free of social bias and exclusion. WFAA and UW Law recognize the value of diversity in persons and in perspectives; value people and the differences that they bring to the organization; and strive to create an environment in which all staff members feel respected personally and professionally, and have opportunities in which to thrive. All positions within both organizations will be called on to contribute to building this environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage all qualified individuals to apply.