The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA), the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for the UW-Madison, is recruiting for an experienced professional to join our finance team. The Disbursement Services & Compliance Manager will accept responsibility for managing a variety of disbursement processing functions designed to serve our campus partners and internal stakeholders alike, with an emphasis on policy-driven accuracy, timeliness, and compliant transaction services. While supervising a current staff of two, this position will also help establish, implement and measure the effectiveness of these functions, in support of department and overall division level objectives.
Management of Disbursement Processes (~50%)
- Manage all aspects of disbursement processing, including customer vendor relationships, check / ACH payments, campus payment processes and 1099 reporting.
- Develop, implement and maintain systems, procedures and policies to ensure adherence to company policies and guidelines.
- Serve as liaison/coordinator for policy guidance & issue resolution both within WFAA and with assigned campus representatives.
- Partner with Financial Reporting to ensure timely and accurate monthly financial reporting.
- Challenge current practices and recommend improvements.
- Communicate with and respond to client inquiries and requests for information.
Quality Assurance (~35%)
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to help ensure compliance with:
- both internal and campus disbursement policies
- fund purpose, restrictions and donor intent
- Develop and execute quality assurance procedures to help ensure accurate, timely and consistent recording of transactions.
- Manage team to established processing and quality service standards.
Other Duties/Responsibilities (~15%)
- Assist WFAA staff with completion of various projects and initiatives as requested.
- Assist with execution of the annual audit, including preparation of related schedules.
- Assist with development and documentation of all procedures and controls, as well as full cross-training and backup capabilities within the disbursements and compliance function.
- Maintain professional knowledge of all primary areas of responsibility.
Human Resources Management
- Determine staffing needs, design jobs, write/update job descriptions, allocate staff and assign/delegates duties accordingly, consistent with the WFAA budget and organization structure.
- Recruit, interview and select highly talented and qualified staff for open positions.
- Orient, train, mentor, coach and develop staff members, encouraging an appropriate level of independence and supporting professional growth.
- Effectively lead change initiatives affecting staff.
- Identify the current and long-term development/training needs of individuals and groups, and provide or facilitate access to appropriate development experiences. Approve professional development expenses.
- Establish, delegate, communicate, monitor, and reinforce staff assignments, accountabilities, performance expectations and goals.
- Provide ongoing feedback and recognition as well as periodic formal performance appraisals to staff as part of a comprehensive performance management system intended to inspire accountability, success, continuous improvement, and professional growth.
- Collaborate with staff on their work, providing guidance, problem solving, insight, etc., to support their success.
- Communicate, support and apply WFAA policies and procedures in collaboration with Human Resources and other management team members.
- Review and approve expense reports, reinforcing the WFAA travel expense policy when necessary.
- Manage staff schedules and timekeeping, including review / approval of schedule changes, timecards and time-off requests.
- Develop and implement systems for identifying and satisfying communication needs of staff, including organizing and leading staff meetings.
- Foster a positive work environment, characterized by open communication, collegiality, support, accountability and motivation to optimize staff performance, satisfaction/morale and retention.
Support a service-oriented atmosphere in accordance with WFAA mission, values and philosophy:
- Strategic beliefs
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison has a transforming impact on students, alumni, and society;
- Authentic, lifelong relationships and engagement with alumni, donors and friends are fundamental to sustaining the reputation and continued success of the University;
- Philanthropy has an essential and growing importance on the future progress of UW-Madison;
- The highest level of stewardship and fiduciary responsibility in financial, investment, data and gift administration is vital to maintaining trust with our stakeholders;
- Diverse views, experiences and perspectives strengthen WFAA and the university community.
- Organizational values
- We are serious about delivering results;
- We work together and with our campus partners as a team;
- We are committed to alumni, donors, volunteers and others;
- We are open-minded;
- We create a positive work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in Accounting or related Business Field required.
- Minimum of 4 years of detailed general accounting and accounts payable experience required including 2-3 years in a supervisory capacity. Combined public and private accounting experience, as well as experience in non-profit organization settings, are both strongly preferred.
- High language, mathematical, and reasoning abilities.
- Microsoft Office experience required, including Excel, Word and Outlook. Advanced financial system experience required, including general ledger and/or accounts payable applications. MS PowerPoint, Access, and/or advanced Excel experience a plus.
- Strong preference for highly developed written and oral communication skills. Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as to organize work priorities, multi-task, and meet established deadlines.
This is an exempt, full time, supervisory position reporting to the Director of Financial Reporting. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit program.
To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume in a single attachment.
Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: September 5, 2017.