The Foundation, with the Wisconsin Alumni Association (WAA), maintains the UW-Madison’s alumni, friends and donor database. Biographical information is available to anyone on campus in a role that needs access to it.
The database includes about 728,000 records with more than 623,500 active addresses. Daily updates provide the most current and accurate information needed to contact alumni and friends.
We update thousands of addresses each week and the database continues to grow. Each week, for example, we update about 1,700 addresses in the database.
If you receive mailing lists through WAA or the Foundation, the information can be segmented in many different ways, so you can best target your audience.
The Foundation database is organized in three parts:
- Demographic data includes biographical information about alumni and friends and is available to those on campus in roles that require access to it. The information is available through the password protected Strategy application.
- Fund accounting to process gifts and pledges. Fund balance and donor reports are available to department administration staff at the discretion of the department chair through a password protected login. These are available through the password protected Campus Access application.
- Prospect/contact management to record Foundation contacts with individuals and corporations. Foundation contacts are proprietary to the Foundation. The information is shared at the discretion of the development directors.
Why use the database instead of records in my office?
- To save time and money
- We take care of updates and maintain current addresses for you.
- To minimize frustration
- You can receive free lists from the Foundation or WAA whenever you need them with a five-day turnaround from request to receipt. To request a list of only alumni, visit WAA. For lists with a donor component, contact your Foundation donor relations coordinator.
- To maximize productivity
- Your mailing will reach your intended recipients instead of being dropped into a wastebasket at an outdated address.
- To easily access information
- Your unique login to Strategy allows you to access alumni and donor information from any computer, giving you the information you need when and where you need it. (Please remember to log out from kiosks and shared computers.)
Who can I find in the database?
- UW-Madison graduates
- UW Foundation donors since January 1, 1982
- Wisconsin Alumni Association members
- Wisconsin Union members
- Medical Alumni Association members, including UW Hospital residents and interns
How do I access the database?
Alumni, friends and donor information is available through Strategy. We supply a password that either allows access to basic demographic data or, upon recommendation from your director of development, more advanced gift and pledge information.
Fund balance and donor reports are available to department administration staff through Campus Access.
How It Can Work
This was one of the most rewarding projects of 2008. We were able to help them re-connect with their past members. I was honored to be able to give back to those who are ultimately in the business of protecting me–and you–every day.
Sharon Adler, senior director of database services
When the ROTC programs on campus wanted to locate past members, the Foundation was able to help. The groups had 1,400 member records. The Foundation updated mailing addresses for those members, eliminated those who had died and found an additional 1,000 members to add to the ROTC files.
For more information
If you have questions about the database and/or how you can benefit and participate in maintaining it and finding information, contact: